Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I'm on a 6 day streak

I think I posted here about 750 words.  If not, check out my other blog, A Curated Writer.  I'm on a six day streak, so it's working.  I find that I'm making myself spend the time.  Like tonight, there were so many other things I wanted to do... had a busy day, not much down time, but there was no way I was going to ruin my streak!

I feel kind of bad because I haven't spent much time at WVU with my classes, but I feel like part of the reason I'm enrolled there is to make me write, so it's obviously working, right?

Oh, and I have to say, I am having a BLAST.  Here is what I wrote yesterday about the story that I started:
Laura Bradford tweeted today about wanting YA stories, dark intense thriller/mystery, lighter mystery/romance, and then regular historical mystery/romance. My mind has been toying with young adult stories for a few weeks now, I keep wondering if I'm capable. I mean it's not like my mind doesn't hang out on an immature level at times anyway! So I started writing in my mind late this afternoon, and told myself that I'd write it down tonight when I sat here to write my words. One of the things I was most curious about was how far and how fast I could type before I'd run out of story line. I suppose if I'm still going strong after 500 words, I might have to give it some serious consideration. Ready? Here goes!
 I'm going to keep writing and not worry too much about what constitutes YA.  I'm cracking myself up though, so that's a good thing, right?  Here's the part that really amused me tonight:

I stood transfixed as one of Inky's tentacles snaked out to snag a rock.  Back home this would be the time to make yourself scarce.  Here it was obviously the same, but my feet were glued to the dusty walkway.  I guess you'd have to be here to understand, but the "nasty little Plutonian" looked like two transparent dinner plates rolling on their sides with blue goo pressed between them.  When it spoke, the effect was mesmerizing.  The goo changed colors in places, sometimes green, but mostly red, especially when its words were mean.  I'm not sure if I should call it a he or a she, it didn't really look like anything that could ever be a boy or a girl.  Man, I sure have a lot to learn.
"Inky."  I startled myself with the sound of my own voice.  "Let's go.  It's obviously a liar.  Come on."
To my surprise, he dropped the rock. But then, before I knew what was happening, his tentacle thrust out, coiled around the perimeter of the Plutonian, then released it with a classic back spin.  Hearing its "whoaaaaaa" sounds as it rolled across the school yard was enough to make me laugh for the first time in days.  I laughed so hard my sides hurt.  Tears started coming out of my eyes.  People started staring and pointing.  I tried to stop, and then another "person" would stop and look at me, and I'd see them wondering why I was laughing so hard, and I'd start laughing again.  It suddenly occurred to me that I was now a bonafide member of a travelling freak show!  That's all my entire school was, just a bunch of freaks!

No comments:

Post a Comment